You shouldn’t have to choose between protecting your job and celebrating the birth of a child, caring for a sick family member, or seeking the medical treatment you need for a chronic health condition. As an employee in New York, both federal and state law provide protections to help you balance your work with family and medical needs.
The federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) gives qualifying employees the right to 12 weeks of unpaid leave to deal with illness, injury, or certain types of caregiving responsibilities. The New York Paid Family Leave law extends FMLA protections by providing opportunities for paid leave, continued health insurance while you are on leave, the right to get your job back when your leave is over, and protection from discrimination or retaliation.
Your employer may violate your FMLA rights intentionally or through their own misunderstanding of the law. The Howley Law Firm seeks to protect employees by providing a free FMLA guidebook.
What You’ll Learn
Your Rights to Family and Medical Leave in New York answers a number of common questions employees have about taking FMLA leave, including:
- Who is eligible for FMLA leave?
- When can FMLA leave be used?
- When do I have options for intermittent leave or a reduced work schedule?
- Can I continue my health insurance during FMLA?
- What are my rights when I return to work after FMLA leave?
- What compensation am I entitled to when my right to FMLA leave has been violated?
- What additional rights do I have under New York law?
- If I believe my right to leave has been violated, what evidence is needed to prove my case?
Request Your Copy Today
The Howley Law Firm is dedicated to protecting your rights in the workplace. Our guide will provide a helpful overview of the FMLA protections, as well as your rights under New York law. It is not, however, a substitute for professional legal advice about your specific case.
Fill out the form below to request your copy of Your Rights to Family and Medical Leave in New York, then call us at (212) 601-2728 to schedule a consultation.